We look to "all natural" as being a safer option when it comes to putting things both on and in our body. Keep in mind that just because items are "all natural" or "plant-based" doesn't necessarily mean that it is completely safe.
It is important that you do your own research and self-educate, to be able to learn more about herbs and other apothecary type products.
US regulation of food ingredients, supplements, and herbal products employ a concept known as "generally recognized as safe" or GRAS. Under FDA regulation an herbal product is GRAS if qualified experts believe it is safe based upon scientific evidence. These findings are based on healthy people without complications and of adult age and without multiple usages of prescription drugs that could contradict the herbal product. If you take a prescription drug and/or under cancer treatments, it is important that you speak to your healthcare professional regarding herbal supplementation. We do not recommend taking any herbal supplements at the same time as a prescription drug and to atleast space it out after a few hours from taking any medications. Start with a very small dose and wait a day to make sure you still feel okay after using it for the first time.
All of our ingredients have been researched through clinical studies and are considered GRAS if used as directed. A little goes a long ways so be sure to understand that more is not always better with our products. All of our products are made for adults unless specifically noted that it is acceptable to be used for children, elderly and pets. Our products have no fillers or bulking agents, therefore they are very concentrated. They are not used like the store-bought products.
As individuals, we have different sensitivities, allergic reactions, and health needs. We are not healthcare practitioners, and therefore we are unable to provide you with any medical advice, potential reactions or any information on prevention or treatment of conditions. The FDA prohibits our company from offering medical advice.
Oakwood Natural Living assumes that you are familiar with the safety guidelines for herbs and herbal products as established by the American Botanical Council, the American Herbal Products Association, and the FDA.
Personal Use -
1) We in no way recommend taking any Essential Oils internally. This is the standard rule with the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy. (NAHA)
2) Discontinue use of any product if it causes a headache, vomiting, dizziness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, burning and/or skin rash.
3) Do not exceed recommended amounts, apply to babies, pets or the elderly unless specifically noted.
4) Do not apply any topical to broken or abraded skin unless specifically noted.
5) Even though our products are made organically as possible with food-grade ingredients, do not eat your products. Keep your products out of reach of children and pets.
6) If you are pregnant or nursing, please speak with your health practitioner.
7) If you are scheduled for surgery, chemotherapy or taking prescription drugs, please speak with your health practitioner.
8) If you are using medications for liver, kidney, autoimmune disease or other serious conditions, please speak with your health practitioner.
9) If you have allergies to ragweed, daisy family, Asteraceae family, bees, honey, almonds, nut types or other types of ingredients, please use caution and read the labels.
10) Products with seaweed, spirulina or other ocean type products could cause reactions to people who are allergic to fish or shellfish.
11) None of our actual products have been evaluated by the FDA nor are regulated by any government program or association.
12) Oakwood Natural Living is diligent in preventing possible cross contamination. We take great care to properly sanitize, use food grade ingredients and containers, BPA free containers, designate utensils and containers for just one ingredient and work in a sanitary environment. Everything is labeled and recorded to ensure a quality product to be available to you. We do not handle any peanut ingredients. Our code of ethics are followed in coordination with the American Herbal Products Association, Voluntary Cosmetic Registration Program, Consumer Coalition Cosmetic Ingredients, Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association and the FDA Cosmetic Guide.
13) Attention Vegans! Most of our products are considered Vegan with the exception of limited bar soap that contains goats milk, some bath soaks with whole milk and products containing honey bee type ingredients such as beeswax. All products have their ingredients listed in order on this website.
14) Our onsite honeybee apiary - Our bees stay on site and are never transported. We only harvest our raw honey when there is enough honey to sustain the bees during the entire year. We never feed our bees processed or any type of sugar or unnatural foods. The beeswax is only taken from the wax cappings or overproduction on the outside of the hive boxes. Royal jelly is never taken from our queens or hives. On occasion, we will harvest a very limited amount of bee pollen if there is a "bumper crop". This is done humanely with pollen catchers attached to the hives for the bees to rub themselves against. We do not use any type of sprays or pesticides on our hives. The bees live on our property in a natural wooded and protective environment away from roadsides and other possible harmful exposures. Our honeybees are practically vegan!
15) Testing - Our products are tested in-house over an acceptable amount of time, using multiple scenarios such as temperatures, time sensitivity, and personal use. Every single product is regularly used within our household and many have been over several years. Everything offered is used personally in our household and with our family. "This is how we live!"